Every day more than 5,760,000 blog posts are published on the internet, which means that continuously creating new and fresh content is a difficult and time consuming task.
That's when "repurposing or recycling Marketing content" comes into play. It becomes immensely easier to repurpose contents that have been successful in the past.
Before revealing the benefits that this task can bring to your company, it's important to highlight the fact that repurposing content does NOT mean sharing your old pieces again, but rather giving them a new life, transforming them by adding an extra value that your audience can't miss out.
In this post, we will show you the most creative ways to recycle your content, the benefits that you will obtain by carrying out this action and the methodology to follow. Now sit back and enjoy!
Repurpose Marketing content: Benefits
As previously mentioned, by repurposing Marketing content we are not simply recycling old content without adding any value to it, in fact that would be a waste of time and would not bring us any benefit. It's more about reformulating and updating your content so it will reach new audiences or receive more attention from your readers.
Here are some of the advantages:
- SEO improvement: By having several types of content, whether they are blog posts, ebooks, infographics, etc. focusing on the same topic, you will generate new and stronger messages around a keyword. In addition, sharing this content on platforms external to your website can generate more traffic coming from external links.
- Reach new audiences: Depending on the content format, we will be able to share it on different channels reaching a new and wider audience.
- A stronger marketing message: Following the "Marketing Rule of 7", a prospect has to listen to your message 7 times before making a purchasing decision. So, spreading the same message in a creative and relevant way using this process will help you gain more visibility on the internet and will increase the chances of reaching the same persona via different channels.
- Increase notoriety and authority: By publishing different content, in various formats and on multiple platforms on a specific topic, you will get your audience to have more confidence in your business, increase your brand awareness and position you as an expert in your field.
As you can see, recycling or repurposing Marketing content can generate different benefits for your business that, in the long term, will generate positive results. Now its time to see what methodology you should go for.
Repurposing Marketing content: MethodologyThere are 5 simple steps you can follow to reuse your content properly:
- Identify the content that you would like to repurpose. To do this, you can categorize it into different groups (e.g.: Popular Content / Editorial Content: it's generally content with potential but that has not received the attention it deserved. Old Content: generally it's content that can or should be updated with new data or statistics).
- Update content to current trends. You may have to review the statistics and update them or include interactive resources or images that you did not include in its first edition, or update the keywords you used in the first version to optimize your SEO and make it easier to be found by search engines.
- Publish: Once you have updated your content, make sure to publish it where possible. When it comes to updating popular content articles, be sure to edit the same article so you don't lose the SEO impact you've already achieved. For editorial content, you can publish the content with better graphics, images or videos to get more attention from the audience. For content that needs to be updated, you can create a totally new post with the new current trends and add an internal link to the old post, so that users can redirect to it.
- Promote: The time you are going to save recycling content instead of creating new one from scratch, can be used to promote the content, either on social media or through Paid campaigns on Facebook, Instagram etc.
- Evaluate: Last but not least, verify and evaluate the entire recycling process. To do it more effectively, you can use the following metrics: total number of sessions /% of new sessions / New users / Visit time on the page /% of bounce.
Well, now that we have both the benefits and the methodology in mind, let's go over some ideas that you can use for your business.
Repurposing Marketing content: ideas for your Business
When it comes to recycling Marketing content, there are several possibilities of re-conversion depending on the original format of the content that we decide to recycle, for example:
- Recycling a Blog post:
- Create a video on YouTube: If you have an explanatory blog post like a “How-to”, it would be a good idea to turn it into a video and post it on YouTube. These types of blog posts have a greater impact on the audience if they become more visual. For example: let's imagine you have a camping or mountain related products store. You have created a blog post about a new camping tent that you just received. In the blog post, you can explain how to easily assemble it in a few minutes, but you can also create a video on YouTube showing the process in order to create a better understanding.
- Create an infographic: If you have a blog post in which you expose various statistics or data on a specific topic, you can consider repurposing that content and turning it into an infographic. It will be easier for you to pass your message and generate more impact on your audience with visual resources.
- Create an eBook: if you have a popular blog post that your public likes, you can consider transforming it into an eBook. Educational content is perfect for launching campaigns on social media such as LinkedIn or Facebook. This way, you will increase your brand recognition, generate more leads and your sales. On the other hand, it can also be useful in order to generate long-term results since educational content will improve your SEO rankings.
2. Repurposing content on social media:
- Recycle visuals: If you have a quality image that you have used only once, you can consider using it as a background image for an Instagram post, always keeping in mind the standard image formats.
- Share fragments of existing content: If you have a video on YouTube, you can publish fragments of it on your social media to promote it.
- Share user content: Share the reviews satisfied customers shared on other social media.
- Share quotes from existing content: You can use mentions or quotes from industry leaders that have generated an impact and that you have already used in other content. Just extract them and share them on your social media.
3. Recycling webinars and videos:
- Create transcripts of your videos: One of the easiest ways to ensure that your content reaches more people is by creating transcripts.
- Transform your transcripts into blog posts.
- Create Podcasts: You simply have to extract the audio from the video and share it on a podcast platform of your choice.
These are just some of the ideas you can use to repurpose your content in a creative and relevant way for your audience.
As you can see, recycling existing Marketing content can be done in different ways, on different platforms, and in different formats. The important thing is adding value to your content in order to reach a wider audience, generate more leads and increase awareness and visibility online. In addition, this process will allow you to take a break and save time, since you will not have to be constantly creating new content.
At mbudo we have a specialized team in all areas of content production and we'll be happy to help you in your repurposing process. Contact us!